The National Resource Center for Chemistry Teachers
In June 1994 Kemilärarnas Resurscentrum, KRC got an assignment from the Swedish government to start a Centre supporting activities of chemistry teachers in Swedish compulsory and upper-secondary schools. The general aim of the Centre is to promote and stimulate interesting and up-to-date teaching of chemistry in Swedish schools.
The Centre is supported by Stockholm university.
In short, we
- develop new experiments for schools and give advice on security issues and questions concerning school chemistry.
- encourage children and young people to become involved in scientific activities
- initiate and carry out continuing education for chemistry teachers
- give research-based information about the role of chemistry in society and environment
- inform about current issues of vital importance for chemistry teachers, like legislation, reforms and similar changes.
work to enhance contacts between schools and the chemical industries
How we do it
- Our web site informs about forthcoming education for chemistry teachers. Application directly via the web site is possible.
- Our "question box (ask the chemist)" on our web site is of service for teachers, pupils, science centers as well as the general public
- Downloadable material (experiments, articles, pictures, useful chemistry links etc.) for chemistry education, accessible for free for teaching purposes
- Materials and books containing chemistry experiments and teaching hints on everyday issues: The Chemistry of Food (Kemin i maten), The Chemistry of Medicines (Piller, pulver och plåster) are our most recent topics.
- Informationsbladet, a newspaper has 4 issues/yr
University courses for teachers to raise their competence level
Who we are
- Vivi-Ann Långvik, Director of the Centre firstname.lastname@example.org
- Karin Axberg, email@example.com
- Christer Ekdahl firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Bengtson email@example.com
- Daina Lezdins firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camilla Mattsson email@example.com
The staff works part-time as chemistry teachers in compulsory schools and at upper secondary level.
senast uppdaterad: Sep 22, 2009
av: Andreas Schneider